TRW is a world leader in foundation brake systems and a pioneer in electronic braking. As part of ZF, TRW develops innovative automotive braking systems that combine proven brake function with advanced functionality. With TRW looking to update and upgrade their brake test stands for product simulation and measurement with high accuracy, they turned to the hardware and software offered by Gantner Instruments.
TRW Automotive needed a way to run a control loop feedback mechanism to control and monitor the servo and hydraulic (fluid) controls of 6 independent stations using the PID to control the servos and hydraulics. Over the years, they have been looking for a way to remove erratic valve behavior and improve measurement quality and reliability. Some of the major obstacles that were:
- How to provide closed loop PID control of a servo system with high accuracy and minimal overshoot, at a loop response rate of up to 2kHz (500 µs)
- How to increase the response and accuracy of the PID controller
- How to implement a superimposed ripple frequency to cause vibration and improve valve linearity and response.
- How to archive, organize, and visualize live data, and present this data in a spreadsheet format for detailed analysis.
- How to interface and integrate with a LabVIEW storage platform.
Time was of the essence as TRW needed to get this system up and running quickly, to facilitate test schedules in a high demand environment. Gantner provided off the shelf hardware with custom programming that could be integrated into their system at a competitive cost.
The speed and precision of the Q.series products allowed Gantner to meet the requirements of this project. The scalability of the Q.series provided the best solution for a high performance automation system with synchronization and the ability to connect to any host system, including: